My technique before the switch could best be described as make a mess and spend time fixing it. This often left me with results that were sub par and blending that was not quite good. So after reading Massive Voodoo I decided I would change to many, many, many, extremely thin layers. Along with this I have forced myself to use higher contrast start to finish with my blends. Roll all this together with a two color Zenithal Lighting priming. This has been rather successful for me so far, but some of my fall back recipes require reworking. Up to this point I have managed to figure out what to do to create the blends I need to get the colors I am happy with.
|Here are some models that are in an extremely early stage.|
Cut to my Black Templar. I have found with my recent models that I really like this new style. The problem is it does not suit every color the same. The technique require you to start with your base color, darken that quite a bit for shadows, and then lighten it quite a bit for highlights. As with most colors this works well and is fairly easy to pull off. This is not entirely the case with black. I know many people use a simple lining technique, but I want to see what I can do.