Sunday, July 8, 2012

Fiends of Slaanesh conversion: Need Some Input

Just like many in this hobby, I have many armies. One of my favorite to play, well used to be, was my Emporer's Children army. With the release of the current codex, the style of that army was never the same and I stopped playing it.

Fast forward to the release of 6th edition and the inclusion of allies. Now all those lovely Slaanesh daemons that have been taunting me, are now able to be included in a EC army. Even with the renewed joy of playing my Children, I still have a small problem. The current model GW makes for Fiends of Slaanesh are hideous. I can not state in words how much I dislike them. They have a great profile though. So I have to come up with a replacement. I decided to use Tyranid Ravagers as the base with a bit of work to convert them into some thing depraved enough. Here is the pics, afterwards my thoughts.....
More after the jump...



 
I am doing what I can to take a bit of the buggish look away from them. I have cut off some of the various small spikes and rounded to carapace so it can look a bit more like metal armor plates. I have flipped the end of the arms around so they look closer to the deamonette claws. I have discarded the head in favor of a spare head from the daemon prince model. The dorsal plates will be left off and a piece of guitar string will be mixed with some greenstuff to create a spine protruding from the back armor. In addition, I will be sculpting a neck behind the head to merge it with the guitar string.

I am not super happy about the torso, but I lack the time or the talent to make it look like muscles. Similar issue with the arms. I may cover the exposed areas so it looks like skin, but I am not good enough to make them look like muscular arms. Even if I was, I doubt I have the time to undertake that project.

At this point I am simply looking for some input. Ideas that may help me. Tell me what you like or dislike. Not gonna hurt my feelings. The more input the better.

4 comments:

MasterSlowPoke said...

My brother just completed a similar task, turning a Trygon into a Demon Prince/Dreadknight:

http://imgur.com/QaAb0.jpg
http://imgur.com/rw2gk.jpg
http://imgur.com/Aw19Z.jpg
http://imgur.com/nNtLA.jpg
http://imgur.com/WL6fc.jpg

The armor covering up the Tyranid ribs and greenstuffing all the little holes do a lot to keep it from looking like a Nid. Fiends's don't have an armor save, though, so maybe armor's not the best option...

Alex said...

I think you're on the right track here by minimizing the 'buggy' elements of the model. The deamon prince head looks great combined with the body. Really makes it look like something Slaneeshi

MasterSlowPoke said...

Looking at it again, removing the lower third pair of arms will do a lot to make it look less buggy (but still look like it has the Fiend's profile!)

40K Giveaway said...

I couldn't agree more about the Fiends, those models are craptastic. I've thought before that a Fiend could be kitbashed from a Seekers box, maybe some Daemonettes limbs thrown in. Basically use the bottom half of the mount and the top half of the rider, add arms. This might be more possible with the new models comming out, the Hellflayer and Chariot models look like they have good parts.
Of course, you might not like the seekers either. And you might already have the Ravagers. I think this looks good, but it's hard to overcome all the Nid styling. Maybe try it out with some Daemonette arms.
Interesting project though, good luck and keep us posted!